Friday, November 7, 2008

The Shack

I (Laura) just read this book...

Literally, I finished it a couple of hours ago. And for those of you doing the math, it is 3 AM here. I am wide awake and thought I would share my thoughts on the book.

I am not one who is easily swayed by public opinion. I read the DaVinci Code when the Christian community was afraid you would lose your salvation simply by beholding its front cover in line at Costco. And I was reluctant to read The Shack simply because everyone was talking about it.
But read it, I did. And in about 24 hours, too.

It was a great read. Very enjoyable. With tons of food for thought. I filled journal pages with quotes and hmm.... moments from my reading. If you are on the fence, I say read it. What have you got to lose? Except maybe a couple of preconceived ideas about God.

As with anything you read, especially a novel that deals with spiritual issues, there will be things that cause you to raise your eyebrows. If a book keeps you confortably where you are right now, what is the point? This book will not leave you comfortable. You will be uncomfortable; I think that is the point.

There were things I loved, things I vehemently disagreed with, and things that I'll have to chew on for awhile. But one of the quotes I scribbled into my journal is the following:


God on being God
"I'm not like you....
the problem is that many folks try to grasp some sense of who I
am by taking the best version of themselves, projecting that to the nth degree, factoring in all the goodness they can picture, which often isn't much, and then call that God."


I know that I am thankful God is so much more than merely the best human I can imagine. I have an active imagination, but it's not that good.

5 comments:

Robin said...

Very controversial book. Who read it.. Laura or Adam?

Adam and Laura said...

Laura read it.

Renelle Davis said...

It's a pretty amazing book...I too was VERY skeptical as I had heard some things about it. However, I did read it and was pretty much blown away. Like you, Laura, there were things I loved and things I disagreed with, but I think it overall gave such a different and exciting view of God. My personal fav part was when he was sitting on the dock with Jesus looking up at the stars...I want to do that!!! :) Hope you guys are well! :)

Anonymous said...

How about trying "The Gospel According to Jesus" by MacArthur? There is a new version out of his old classic book.
Pops

Patrick said...

Hi Laura.. that quote you mentioned sounds a lot like Isa 40:18-27!

Having read the book, do you agree with those who claimed that this book was equivalent to Bunyan's Pilgrim's progress?

I too read Da Vinci Code because it was a very well written book. I loved the puzzles despite the underlying story to be completely heretical. There was enough "fictional story" and "mystery" that gripped me. I read it in two days!

Now regarding the Shack. I understand the allegorical themes in the book however the book, while fictional, attempts to teach theological truth, namely salvation, the revelation of God in the Scriptures, the problem of suffering, and the relationship of our Triune God. Because it is primarily theological in content through allegory and fictional characters, I must examine its theology in light of the Bible.

Somewhere in the book I was already bothered by the author's subversive explanation of God and God's revelation. He minimizes that "God is reduced to paper and even that paper had to be moderated and deciphered by the proper authorities and intellects."

Right there, the Word of God is questioned as a reliable source of truth. 2Tim 3:16-17 speaks of the sufficiency of the Scriptures. It is not a reduction of God but a revelation of God.

Sorry for the long comment, but wouldn't you say that the moment one approaches theology apart from the revealed word of God it then becomes questionable?

The book then goes to talk about reconciliation and how one is made right with God. However it is unclear as to how. Is it only through Christ or other means?

I'll end it there.. I'd love to hear your thoughts along with Adam's on the book.