Saturday, November 15, 2008

Adam read The Shack too

Adam here- I also just finished The Shack. You should read it. The trick is to not take a lot of the controversial parts as literal. It is meant as a metaphor, as an allegory. Anyone who can't pick up on that will miss out on the bigger picture of the book. It uses distinct imagery to show the reader what an intimate relationship with Jesus, God, and the Holy Spirit might look like. The story itself is interesting and gripping. The spiritual commentary is thought-provoking. I thought it was a good read and I recommend it. When you do read it, let me know what you think.

3 comments:

Renelle Davis said...

Adam - I agree with all of your thoughts...if you see this as non-fiction, you'll go crazy. It is an amazing allegory and definitely thought provoking! :)

Anonymous said...

I've been wanting to read this book for a while now. Thanks for letting me know your thoughts, people have been stressing to keep it in perspective as fiction and it has great value. I'll have to definately read it soon.

Rickles

Anonymous said...

I started the book a while back then misplaced it in a rush of activities. Just picked it up and read it again in a few hours last week. Powerful story. I can't think of a book that has kept my attention and anticipation for the next thought as much as this did. I'm searching for a way to use this in a ministry way to open discussion with people on their view, relationship, stereotype of God. Thanks for your regular updates. It's fun to see what's going on in Germany.

Pastor Chuck