Thursday, November 20, 2008

Reality Show or Classroom?


It's a good day here in Kitchen Stadium! Independent Living has officially started the much anticipated Cooking Unit. *wild applause* When I announced that we would be starting this unit, one of my students sat up in his chair, clasped his hands together and proclaimed, "Mrs. DeClercq, words cannot express how excited I am!" If that doesn't warm a teacher's heart, I don't know what would.

We have successfully made trail mix, baked granola, and oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. Everyday my students want to turn the lesson into a reality show- Next Top Chef, Iron Chef, Hell's Kitchen, Survivor, Weakest Link. You name it, they've mentioned it. They wanted to "vote people off the kitchen island".

Just to placate them, I always taste each team's food and proclaim a winner. They love it. I think they might be keeping score.

Pictured above are the plates of cookies we made today. Beautiful, huh? And although you can't try for yourself, they are DELICIOUS. Way to go Independent Living!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Laura, Your class sounds like so much fun! What great imaginations your students have voting people off the kitchen island. Thanks for keeping up with the blog; it helps me keep up with you.

Robin said...

Love it. Vote them all off! Send the cookies to me. Ha! I am SOOO excited to skype with you tomorrow!!!

Anonymous said...

Team Asia for life