Saturday, April 24, 2010

Welcome to the new page!

If you've ever talked to me for more than 3 minutes you know that I have an affinity for books and reading. If you've ever been to our home you know that the bookshelf is overflowing with books.  And if you've ever talked about sports for 3 mintues I will surely try to find a way to turn the conversation towards books. 

This love for books is relatively new for me.  Growing up, my mom sure worked hard to instill in me a desire to read.  She was moderately successful.  As a kid I liked reading enough.  In high school I enjoyed it enough to get my assignements done, but I rarely read for fun.  And I really didn't do much summer reading.  Even in college, as a literature major, I only enjoyed reading enough to complete my studies.  By the time I got to college I was reading more often for the pure enjoyment of reading, but part of the problem of being in college is being required to read so much from such a broad spectrum of books.  And more often than not, that required reading is tedious, sucking all the joy out of holding a book. 

But now I love it.  I am almost always juggling two or three books at a time.  I read fiction, non-fiction, classics and moderns.  And even more recently I've become fascinated with the world of antiquarian books and first editions.  My brother even occampanied me to an Antiquarian book fair in February. 

It is because of this love for books, mixed with my desire to see my own words in print, that I've started this new page on our blog.  Here I intend to write book reviews and share my thoughts on the books that I am reading.  On top of that, modern technology and the superpowers that be (Google and Amazon) now provide a way for me to get a little kick back as well.  Whenever I mention a book here, say Treasure Island or The Last of the Mohicans I will be able to provide a link directly to Amazon.  If you, my beloved reader, are so inclined, you can then click through to Amazon's site and purchase the book.  If you purchase the book then I get a kickback!  Isn't this amazing!  I'm motivated to do this because I know for a fact that previous mentions of books have lead to purchases and readings of said books (Reading Lolita in Tehran and Devil in the White City).  And frankly, I'm ready to start getting paid to read!

Come back soon to see what I've got in store for you!  (Bear with me while I try to figure out the formatting for this stuff.)

No comments: