Monday, February 1, 2010

Grocery stores

Maybe it is because I really only frequest grocery stores.

Maybe it is because workers in grocery stores are paid to be friendly.

Maybe it is because people stand in line mindlessly and therefore do things they wouldn't do in another venue.

Who knows?
All I know is that I was the recipient of three comments in the last 2 days that I just had to share.

1. Costco
Adam and I were standing in line with one thing, commenting on the woman who was in the line next to us with an entire cart full of chocolate chip cookies. I considered offering to bake the same number of cookies for her for half the price, but then I would have to get out of line to buy more chocolate chips and it didn't really seem worth it. I digress.

We were standing in line and a woman walked up to us and said "excuse me". I assumed she wanted to squeeze between us and the man in front of us. I was wrong. She handed me a business card and said "I never do this, but I am a photographer and you two are cute are obviously pregnant, so I wanted to see if you would be interested in a belly session or baby pictures?" I didn't have the heart to break her spirit and tell her that the male portion of this cute, obviously pregnant couple is also a photograper. So, I smiled, said thank you and put her card in my pocket.

See proof of photography below.
2. Albertson's
Minding my own prego business in the chip aisle. Don't ask what I bought, ok, chips are my weakness. An Albertson's employee is sweeping down the aisle. I assume that with my wide load, I am probably in the way. I try to hug the chips to get out of his way. He gives me a thumbs up, a big smile and proclaims "Pretty mommy!" as he sweeps past me.

3. Same Albertson's as #2
The cashier pointed at my belly and asked "when?" That's it, just one word. I assumed that he wanted to know when the baby in my big baby belly was due, not when is my next doctor's appointment, when was the last time I slept comfortably through the night, when did the maternity shirts stop covering the elastic waistband of my maternity jeans, or when this child was conceived... so I smiled and said March 22nd.

I try not to be THAT pregnant woman, but seriously.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It amazed me how free people in the states felt to ask me questions or make comments when I was pregnant. Thank goodness I was only there 10 days!
-Heather
P.S. Love the picture!

Anonymous said...

I have to say that I think it is wonderful that even perfect strangers with only the Lord knows what kind of values they have celebrate this new life within you. Give the glory to the Lord! love Mom D

Robin said...

At least they don't shout "I Love Your Belly!" ... oh, wait. They do. Ha. Love you and little baby boy!

Laina Diane said...

I say ditto to that. You are a pretty mommy. And that is a beautiful picture!