Wednesday, May 27, 2009

the best chocolate frosting you will EVER eat

I cook and bake and make a lot of things. Some things I love, love, LOVE- like hot artichoke dip or buffalo chicken dip, or well, mostly anything but dessert. I don't love dessert, but I LOVE this frosting. Like, "keep the cupcake, just give me a spoon" love it.
So, I thought I better share it. Because how can something so good be hoarded? Sort of like hiding your light under a bushel, NO.
So, without further ado...

Whipped Chocolate Caramel Ganache
adapted from Baked: New Frontiers in Baking
Makes enough for one 8-inch 3-layer cake, or about 48 cupcakes (including the occasional "I really should test this before I frost those cupcakes for our guests"...)

1 pound dark chocolate, chopped
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1 pound (4 sticks) butter, cut into tablespoon-sized pieces, softened but still cool

Ganache Directions:
1. Combine 1/4 cup water, sugar, and corn syrup in a medium saucepan; stir to combine. Bring to a boil over high heat. Cook until the mixture reaches 350 degrees on a candy thermometer, about 10 minutes. (or until you get sick of waiting, I have never checked the temp; just cook it until it is caramel-y looking)

2. In another small saucepan add cream and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and set aside. (if you don't boil the cream, your caramel will seize up and get stuck to the bottom of your pot and that = less deliciousness + more dishes)

3. When the caramel mixture has reached 350 degrees, remove from heat and allow to rest for 1 minute. Add the hot cream to the caramel; stir to combine. Place chocolate in the bowl of an electric mixer and pour caramel sauce over chocolate. Let sit 1 minute before stirring from the center until chocolate is melted.

4. Attach bowl to electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and mix on low until the bowl feels cool to the touch. (that reads, walk away, do the dishes, call your mom, let the mixer do its thing while you get something else done!)

5. Add butter and increase speed to medium-high until mixture is well combined, thickened, and slightly whipped, about 2 minutes.

6. Cool the ganache for 20 minutes or so before frosting the cake for easier frosting.

Now, it looks a little tricky and you have to use lots of dishes in order to make it and there are lots of steps and it is totally worth every ounce of effort you put into it. You will never, do you hear me, never buy a boring tub of chocolate frosting again, not when you can have this stuff!

This stuff holds up great in the fridge. So, don't bother making a half batch. Once you taste it, you will gladly make another batch of cupcakes to "use up the frosting". Or you might just plan on leaving a spoon in the bowl for that crazy chocolate craving that drives you frantically to the freezer for a handful of chocolate chips.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wonder if I could MacGuyver-rig some of the crap in my dorm room into an oven and a stove...and ingredients...

Rickles

Anonymous said...

Seriously...you put the recipe on here haha. you love that recipe.I won't complain. It is good and that Birthday cupcake will be ten times better with that frosting!

Unknown said...

well, I had like 6 people ask for the recipe, so I thought I could just post it and anyone who wanted it could just grab it from here. =)