Friday, January 9, 2009

Another German thing

Nordic Walking

Sundays seems to be the national "Go for a Walk Day". Even in the rain or snow. The German people will be out, all bundled up in coats and gloves, walking. And they don't just walk, they Nordic Walk! With Nordic Walking sticks. They fly past us on the hiking trails like we were standing still. Old people, young people, all of them.
When we first got here in August, our joke was "How can you tell the Americans from the Germans? Just see who is huffing and puffing up the hill." And that person is never a German.

These are actual signs explaining in German how to Nordic walk. And how to properly stretch in order to not hurt yourself while Nordic Walking. Like I said, walking is a big deal here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh how you mocked me and my "cougar sticks" (aptly named for fighting off cougars) as I trek thrice weekly up the treacherous Mission Peak. With them I blow by the others.
Pops