Thursday, December 11, 2008

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas...

I walked through Kandern this afternoon, on a mission to buy little Christmas-y bags to fill with chocolate truffles, which my classes are making tomorrow morning (don't you wish you were taking Independent Living with Mrs. DeClercq!). It was snowing, so I was bundled up in my tights and Ugg boots, coat, scarf, and gloves. The snowflakes were sticking to my eyelashes and making my dress look polka-dotted. As I walked the two blocks or so to the store, I watched store keepers hanging Christmas lights. I saw a truck filled with Christmas trees on its way to the Christmas tree lot. I could almost hear the wind humming a Christmas carol. It was absolutely beautiful.
I bought my bags and started the walk back. I stopped to buy a Christmas ornament that I saw in a store window. She wrapped it up like a gift for me, complete with ribbon. Then I made another stop at the florist where I bought three pointsettias. Each of the plants was individually wrapped and taped closed. As I walked back in the snow, with my arms full of Christmas, I couldn't help but sing to myself.
This must be what it is like to live in a Christmas song.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was a beautiful post, Laura.
I could almost sense everything, too.
love, Mom D

Robin said...

That was great. I loved reading it. Sounded like the beginning of a good Christmas novel. You always were a good writer though! HA!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a living postcard.
Every time I check your blog my eyes go to your picture next to this most recent posting. What a great picture. You both look so European. That's quite a beard, Adam. It's a great shot of you two.
Pops

Laina Diane said...

That is just charming. Robin's right. I wanted to keep reading. What happens next?! I want to live in a Christmas song!

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a beautiful image that made in my mind. I could imagine I was right there, too. Wish I could be there with you. Missing you lots, Love, Mom B