Saturday, September 20, 2008

even Peanut Butter is complicated here...

Peanut Butter is not a diet staple here in Germany. So, for those of us Americans that live by peanut butter alone, (in case you're wondering, that's Adam in the DeClercq household) BFA hires a driver to drive mega-tubs of natural PB from Holland. We, the peanut-butter-eating-staff buy it and sing the praises of BFA for thinking of something so ingenious. The only problem is that the peanut butter comes in 25 kilo tubs. So, even for a big peanut butter eater like Adam, that is too much peanut butter. Besides, where would I store it?

So, we decided to split the tub of peanut butter with a few other people. Sounds brilliant, I know. But, I did mention it is "natural peanut butter", right? That means, the oil separates and you have to stir it in. Not a problem when you buy a jar of Trader Joe's PB or some Laura Schudders. But our tub was 25 kilos.
Here we are trying to stir the peanut butter with the longest spoon I had in the kitchen. And a close up of our mega-tub...
That spoon snapped in half showering the kitchen with precious peanut butter. And then I had to dig the half-spoon out of the peanut butter.

In the end, we filled just about every plastic container we could find with peanut butter.
I have to confess, not even culinary school prepared me for mixing a tub-o-PB that was that big. And that, blog-readers, is the kind of thing we do for fun on a Friday night!

2 comments:

Laina Diane said...

HAHA..this is hilarious. I laughed out loud and Josh looked at me wierd.
Makes me wonder how they package honey...
L

Anonymous said...

I really like the picture of you two in Luzern :-) that was a fun day!
So now I really wish I had gone to Black & White night!
So, do you have enough peanut butter for awhile!? I found tortillas and Doritos at Kaufland in Lorrach! Hooray!
Well, I need to go CONSOLIDATE my boxes because I am VEHEMENT that we can't live among boxes much longer. In fact, I am sure that I should ABSTAIN from the internet today so that I can go unpack and build IKEA items, that will go into my dream home. I will RECOUNT it for you later!

MUCH! xoxox Bonnie