Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Winnipeg... it's in Canada

I am writing from Winnipeg, Manitoba. Yes, that's in Canada. We are spending a week in Canada for training with Janz Team Ministries.
We arrived Monday morning after a red-eye flight from San Francisco to Minneapolis with a layover and then on to Winnipeg. In Winnipeg we stood in the line for customs and then were sent to the Immigration line and then to the lost baggage line. Yes, Northwest Airlines lost our sleeping bags somewhere between San Francisco and Winnipeg. It was at this point that we realized we had no idea where we were staying, who was picking us up from the airport, no contact information for anyone in Canada. Needless to say, we are already practicing our "we are stupid foreigners" speech.
In the end, we successfully met up with reps from Janz and were quickly on our way to our home away from home for the next week... Canadian Mennonite University. We had lunch and then napped as if we had never slept before.
Since then our outlook on Canada has drastically improved. We have had beautiful warm weather and have met many people we are greatly looking forward to serving with in Germany. We are especially excited to have met two other couples that are in the same stage of life... they even watch the Office and Lost. What more could you ask for? We are already planning tv nights huddled around a laptop.
Today was a day of encouragement for me especially. Hearing other people sharing their experiences and feeling like I am not alone in my fears and frustrations. Although it does not remove the feeling of being overwhelmed, it does help.
We are looking forward to the rest of the week here in Winnipeg, and also the year ahead serving with our newfound friends.

2 comments:

Robin said...

Woo hoo! Welcome to my home! The luggage thing is a bummer, but it wasn't Canada's fault! Did you ever find them? I hope you have a really good time. Be sure to shop at La Senza (Laura) and then stop by the Bay (overpriced but classic). I'm arriving tomorrow night. Find out when you'll be free. I would love to take you to my favourite little restaurant that is just outside the perimeter on the west side of town. Also, go to the Forks. Hopefully there will be some sort of artsy thing going on. There usually is! The Forks would be midway between where you are and my end of town. Oh... I'm so excited!

Robin said...

WAIT! You are staying at CMU? You are only 7 minutes from my grandma's house. Yes. I thought you were staying at the Janz Team Ministries headquarters in Kildonan. This is much better. I will pick you up and tour you around. Much better. Email me and tell me how long you will be there.