Thursday, April 24, 2008

A little lesson in prayer

Yesterday, Buena Park had its last league dual swim meet before finals. Varsity boys lost by 2. But it wasn't the end of the meet that brought me in prayer to God's throne, it was the swarm of bees encroaching on the pool deck before the meet started.

As many of our swimmers were standing around the deck, delaying the inevitable 'get-in,' a massive swarm of bees started buzzing over our heads. Many ran into the locker rooms, a few jumped into the pool, and some of us moved to the other side keeping a watchful eye. As some were suggesting that a bee keeper be called, I called a higher authority. I prayed a simple prayer, "God push these bees away. Have these bees fly away from the pool deck." Immediately, the swarm moved away.

On my drive home I connected a thought with the Bee Prayer that encouraged me. If God hears me and answers so promptly and graciously with something like the bees then I know he hears my prayers about support. Our prayers for support are constant, and deeply sincere. Yet, sometimes that thought of, "what if the support doesn't come?" creeps in and challenges my faith just a little. So, as I drove down Harbor, squinting into the golden setting sun, I felt a calmness and an assurance that God will answer, just like He did with the bees. And I thought that maybe my faith isn't being challenged like I thought, just stretched just a little.

No comments: