Thursday, February 19, 2009

How now, brown cow?

Last night was small group night and with two of the guys away at a basketball tournament, we were reduced to a group of four. This made it possible for us to easily return to our apartment for the evening (since I could fit all the guys in my car). When we got here I pulled out the lemon bar dessert that Laura graciously prepared for us as well as some drinks. Now, I'm no culinary student but I can imagine it is hard to pair lemon anything with an appropriate beverage.

(By-the-way, Laura is in no way responsible for the drinks for this evening, or any other evening. She washes her hands on that issue.) My guys, though, are milk-starved. Every week they decimate 3 liters of milk. They say that milk is too expensive for the dorms to keep it in stock so they rarely get to drink just milk. We try to make it up to them by gladly buying a few cartons of milk. There is never any left.

Due to the smaller population for the evening I only bought 2 liters for the night and when I got them out I also grabbed the half-bottle of Coke that Laura and I hadn't finished yet, and placed the selection on the table. My guys got up to get their drinks but by the time I turned around to get my own glass they were serving up "Brown Cows". I asked "What is a brown cow?" I was answered with a milky-brown concoction being shoved into my hand. "I'm not drinking this guys. It looks gross." Ahhh...but since when does 'gross-looking' matter to high school boys? I was informed that I was going to drink it, that we were all going to drink it. It was a bonding experience. So with the clinks of our plastic cups we raised our Brown Cows, mixtures of Coke and milk, to our lips and imbibed. At first it tasted a little like a melty ice cream float but that moment abruptly ended with a...uh...well, a gross-really gross-taste in my mouth. It wasn't good at all.

Still, with Brown Cows in hand, we took our seats to watch a movie and each took a lemon bar. If I can offer you a word of advice: DON'T EVER DRINK A BROWN COW AND EAT LEMON BARS! Holy COW (get it?) it was terrible. The guys agreed as an echoing 'Yuck' rang out. You know what the funniest part was? All of us finished our Brown Cows. I don't know why. Why do people do stupid things? It was one of those inexplicable events that will never be fully understood.


Moooooooooooo.

2 comments:

Andrew & Danica said...

Gross. I may have lost some respect for you.

Adam and Laura said...

Who are you ADHD? Identify yourself!