Sunday, October 26, 2008

baked goods, lots of 'em

I get a strange joy when I bake for kids here. I obviously enjoy cooking; I did go to school for a year, and pay a lot of money to learn how to do it. But, it is different than just enjoying it. It doesn't feel like a chore or an obligation (like on some week nights when I just wish and wish that a In-n-Out would appear in Riedlingen so I don't have to cook; it never does and I cook).
I know that if I make cookies for Adam's small group, they are going to truly appreciate them. Same goes for when I make 100 brownies at the dorm. Those boys are going to fall over themselves to get a brownie.
The funny thing is, I am just now starting to learn that when you bake for boys, especially high school boys, you have to make A LOT. I made 3 dozen cookies for Adam's small group. I thought, well, there are 6 of them, plus Adam, that makes 7. They'll probably eat 2-3 each, and that will leave us with some for the rest of the week. I realize now, that was poor planning on my behalf. Not only did they inhale all the cookies in a matter of minutes, they drained our milk and possibly licked the plate. Luckily, I hid two for myself.
Now, I never expect to see left overs. And I will remember to buy 2 liters of milk on Wednesdays.

No comments: