Tuesday, July 1, 2008

the Cloud

I have been reading through the Old Testament this summer. I am not sure how many of you have attempted this and then given up part way through Leviticus... But I made it through and am now into Numbers.
The end of Numbers 9 caught my attention. Starting in verse 15 it tells how the Israelites stayed or went depending on the cloud above the Tabernacle. When it lifted, they went; when it rested, they stayed. Regardless of how long it lifted or rested, they followed.
I have this image in my head of an Israelite waking up every morning and stretching, then immediately popping his head out of his tent to check if the cloud had lifted. Daily searching for God's direction to determine the course of the day- pack up or sleep in.
For us, I have seen the "cloud lift" and lead us to BFA. But there was a long stretch where I desperately wanted the cloud to lift but it stayed firmly resting. I wonder if the Israelites felt that discontent? If they ever looked out of their tent wishing "Please let the cloud lift TODAY!" Or maybe, "I hope the cloud rests another day."
I remember thinking, God, I will go wherever, do whatever you want... just tell me what it is. And now He has spoken, and we are packing up.

2 comments:

Robin said...

I was looking at pictures of your trip on Luke and Stephanie's blog that you have linked. It is so weird to see you at the Forks where I used to hang out and go ice skating all the time. New world meets Old World. Really trippy.

Sarah said...

Hey Adam and Laura!

Just wanted to let you know that I've been praying for you guys, and it's exciting that you are so close to 80%!!

Your new BFA friend,
Sarah :)

www.sarahhaymond.blogspot.com