Saturday, May 24, 2008

A cardboard house

The bookshelves are empty. The CD shelves are empty. The DVD shelf is empty. And many, many cardboard boxes are filled. There are even more boxes waiting to be filled. These boxes pretty much fill every empty space we have. It is driving Laura a little crazy since she likes to have everything put away. But she knows that her sanity in that area is a small sacrifice at this point.

Speaking of sacrifice, is it right to consider getting rid of most of our belongings as sacrifice? I would have thought that this kind of sacrifice would make me feel more spiritual. It doesn't really. Instead, it makes me feel more practical. We can't afford to store our stuff. We can only impose on our parents so much by stashing stuff at their places. (Thanks, moms and dads for letting us store stuff!) We can't take it with us and we can't leave it here.

It is kind of surprising when I look around and inventory the stuff we have accumulated. It breaks my heart to call it stuff. I like our "stuff." And yet, I am finding it surprisingly easy to get rid of so much of our "stuff." If you had asked me a year ago if I would be willing to give away, sell, or store our belongings I would have said 'no way'. Put away all of my CDs? Get out of here. Sell the TV? How would I live? Put away the pictures on the walls that I like to display? How dare you deny me my art!

Still, the practical thing is to strip down to the necessities right now. In a few weeks we will probably be sitting in camping chairs eating from a card table but it is going to be okay. As we strip away all of our "stuff" I am seeing how easy it will be to get by.

So is this process a sacrifice? Hardly. I would have said it would be a sacrifice at one time but now I see it as the way things have to be. And that is the lesson to be learned. As Laura and I have come across challenges we worry. Once we pass through them we think, "That wasn't so bad." And before we come upon new ones we know that we will get through them. We have started to look at things differently. We have started to adjust our way of thinking to match the plans God has set before us. Yeah, we get headaches, feel tired and frustrated. But ultimately, we adjust our way of thinking and feel confident that things will all work out.

2 comments:

natalie said...

i love how God gets us ready. how he moves us and shapes us, prepares us to do what he has for us. like a mother who is scared to give birth...he makes her so uncomfortable at the end, she can't wait to get the baby out. or giving you such a great passion to go and serve that things that might seem like to much to give, suddenly seem like 'no big deal'. thanks for sharing...

Robin said...

Looking forward to Saturday! We just received a letter from a member of our church who is going to BA next year to serve as a RD. So we'll know three people there!